About Me

My photo
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Eli Kantor is a labor, employment and immigration law attorney. He has been practicing labor, employment and immigration law for more than 36 years. He has been featured in articles about labor, employment and immigration law in the L.A. Times, Business Week.com and Daily Variety. He is a regular columnist for the Daily Journal. Telephone (310)274-8216; eli@elikantorlaw.com. For more information, visit beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com and and beverlyhillsemploymentlaw.com

Translate

Monday, July 06, 2015

Mike Huckabee splits with Trump on immigration

Politico
By Eliza Collins
July 5, 2015

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee made clear on Sunday that he sees some immigration issues differently than his Republican presidential rival, Donald Trump.

“What I have been doing is focusing on what my own views of immigration happen to be, rather than weighing in on getting in this battle of, are we with Trump or against Trump?” Huckabee said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “I say some things very differently. I say every night, I get on my knees and thank God I’m in a country people are trying to break into, rather than one they’re trying to break out of.”

While some immigrants may have “nefarious goals,” Huckabee said most of them come to the U.S. for the opportunity to be Americans.

“They come to help their families, some of the hardest-working people…and I think this is often lost — some of the most conservative, family-oriented and faith-based people I have ever witnessed,” he said.

“I would never besmirch all the people who come here because I think, sometimes, we get wrapped up in how many people are coming. The real question is, why are they coming?” Huckabee said. “If they’re coming because they want to be part of the American dream, if they want to come and share our flag, our interests, our language, assimilate into our culture because they believe in what we stand for, you know, then that’s the same reason our ancestors came.”

And Huckabee was quick to declare that Trump, the billionaire real estate developer and entertainer, “needs no help from Mike Huckabee to get publicity. He’s doing a really good job of that.”


“I’m for some reasonable approaches to immigration that start with a secure border," the former governor said, pledging to secure the U.S.-Mexico border within a year if he’s elected president.

For more information, go to:  www.beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com

No comments: