About Me

My photo
Beverly Hills, California, United States
Eli Kantor is a labor, employment and immigration law attorney. He has been practicing labor, employment and immigration law for more than 36 years. He has been featured in articles about labor, employment and immigration law in the L.A. Times, Business Week.com and Daily Variety. He is a regular columnist for the Daily Journal. Telephone (310)274-8216; eli@elikantorlaw.com. For more information, visit beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com and and beverlyhillsemploymentlaw.com

Translate

Monday, April 20, 2015

Lindsey Graham on 2016, Immigration and Israel

Wall Street Journal
By Beth Reinhard
April 20, 2015

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham sat down with The Wall Street Journal after addressing Republican activists Saturday in Nashua, N.H., and assessed his 2016 prospects and the debates over immigration policy and national security. Mr. Graham is currently “testing the waters,” which, in the parlance of the Federal Election Commission, means he is accepting donations of as much as $2,700-per-person to be used if he decides to run for president. Unlike many rivals who tend to stick to their talking points, the senator is becoming known for his unscripted and candid remarks on the campaign trail.

Here are excerpts from the interview as Mr. Graham sipped a glass of Riesling, the white wine he’s favored since the mid-1980s when his German neighbors served it to him while he was stationed in West Germany for the Air Force:

On the 2013 immigration overhaul:

“We did everything but put alligators [at the southern border]. We literally militarized the border…If we’re still playing this game of denying the reality of immigration reform politics, forget about 2016… I am not going to sign a bill if I am president that doesn’t have an earned pathway to citizenship…If we allow you to stay — criminals are not welcome, bad-deed doers off you go — but if we’re going to let you stay the rest of your life, then you can earn your way to citizenship – get behind those who have done it right, pay a fine, learn the language, lots of hurdles — but I want you to have a chance to be part of us. I don’t like the hired help approach.”

On Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, a White House rival who co-sponsored the immigration bill but has backed away from it after a backlash from conservative activists:

“I believe in what I did or I wouldn’t have done it. So what good am I to anybody if I don’t believe in my own work product?…Sen. Rubio will be president one day. I don’t know if it will be 2016…. I think I am a stronger Republican today because on occasion I’ve disagreed with my own party. I have nothing but positive things to say about what [Mr. Rubio] tried to do. Why he’s separated I don’t know. I’ll leave that up to him, but I’m not going to back off.”

On his advocacy of a muscular U.S. role in world affairs and the more cautious approach advocated by Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul, a presidential candidate.

“This whole thing about screwing around with Rand Paul – that is just a benefit of this [potential campaign]. That’s not why I am doing it. I like Rand. Rand is a libertarian. I’m a lawyer. He’s a doctor. Doctors are not used to being challenged. I’ll fight until morning, day and night, this is a business for me. We have different views of foreign policy. Let’s have a fight about it. Let’s see where the party is…Is it going to be the party of Ron Paul’s son or Ronald Reagan? At the end of the day that’s a fight worth having…Hats off to Rand Paul for trying to expand the party. On foreign policy we’re going to fight like hell. I think he’s right to try to connect with young people. I’m not focusing on kids who smoke dope in their parents’ basement. I’m focused on young farmers, young lawyers, young real estate agents, young subway shop owners. He’s a libertarian. I’m not selling libertarianism to young people. I’m selling conservativism to young people.”

On fiscal policy:

“If we don’t reform entitlements like I talked about today, we’re all dead. We’re all grease…If we don’t raise the debt ceiling the Republican Party will get more blame than the Democratic Party… If we look like we’re irresponsible, and we’re doing pretty good right now… We’re actually making some progress on issues. If we don’t raise the debt ceiling on our watch or it’s blamed on us because we’re too ideological, were in trouble.”

On the biggest challenge facing his potential 2016 campaign:


“The means. If I put together a finance team that will make me financially competitive enough to stay in this thing…I may have the first all-Jewish cabinet in America because of the pro-Israel funding. [Chuckles.]  Bottom line is, I’ve got a lot of support from the pro-Israel funding. Can I raise enough hard money to get through Iowa and New Hampshire and South Carolina with a staff about 75?…South Carolina is unique because I’m from there. So here’s the deal. If I can raise $15 million — that’s enough and that can make me competitive…If I can perform well in Iowa to get some momentum coming into New Hampshire, hit hard here, finish in the top tier, I’ll win South Carolina and I’m in the final four.”

For more information, go to:  www.beverlyhillsimmigrationlaw.com

No comments: